Italy; A Saga

22:01

Settle in for a long post. I was going to split all of this up into 3 separate posts, but I have such trouble breaking up Italy.

 I've been enamored with Italy for as long as I can remember. When I got the chance to go there on a tour with my high school and play music in a few different cities, it didn't go away. That was in 2008, when I'd just turned 15. 6 years later I booked my own trip, all by myself. I've touched briefly before on the way that I'm a bit anxious when left to my own devices, but I was determined the two weeks on my solo trip would be something special to me.


 (You can tell from my face that I'm excited - in my defense I had about 4 hours sleep)

I arrived at Leonardo Da Vinci International airport at around midday and successfully acquired a train ticket to get into central Rome, at Termini station. Anyone who knows anything about me while I'm travelling will know two things; I hate being late because I like to know what I'm doing before I do it, and I am the most nervous traveler in existence. It's not because I'm scared something bad will happen per say, it's that I'm scared of missing my stop or being late or something ridiculous like that.

So then of course my worst nightmare happened when I couldn't find my hotel.

That drama aside (it wasn't even that much drama) I put my luggage in my room and headed into the late afternoon to set myself up for my three nights in Rome. The area around Termini station is an eclectic district that is far enough away from the bigger tourist attractions that the streets once you're a minute away from the train station are quiet and full of locals.

I realised at some point that I'd planned getting to Italy, and moving between each of my stops, having my money on travel cards and generally how I was going to handle myself, but not so much what I was going to do in each place.

I ended up walking a lot.

On the first day I got a 3 day pass for a sightseeing bus, because who was I kidding, I was absolutely there to do all of the cliche tourist stuff that I missed out on when I was there the last time (funnily enough taking 60 students straight off a 20 hour flight into Rome in the middle of summer for half a day of sightseeing is not at all conducive to sightseeing - who knew). I ate at a little cafe across from my hotel (and found out that if I speak the little Italian I can manage to Italians I don't have much of an accent, so they will spout off in rapid-fire Italian that I can't even begin to comprehend) and set my alarm for early the next day.

I did a full lap on the bus listening to the tour guide, spent it mostly waking up and basking in the sun (I don't think there was a day I was in Rome under 35 degrees - I might also be part lizard) and deciding what I wanted to do that day.

(I was trying to recreate a picture I took on the Colosseum walls the first time I was there)                            
 (at the bottom of Palatine hill)

I'm sad that I lost a lot of my photos from Rome when my laptop got stolen later on in the year, but it's the tiniest things crystal clear in my head from my days in Rome. I remember lining up to get a ticket into the Roman Forum (Palatine Hill and The Colosseum) behind an American couple on their honeymoon and listening to them talk about all of the things they looked forward to, my favourite sandals breaking after 2 days of walking nearly everywhere because the weather was so glorious and I love nothing more than wandering around aimlessly, I found out.


 Spanish Steps (when you travel alone you have to take selfies)
 (I have it on good authority that the Pope was throwing a raging party)
(The reason I have to go back to Italy continually is because the Trevi fountain is ALWAYS having something done to it - seriously, it's the one thing I really really really want to see lit up at night)

(This is from a tea house next to the Spanish Steps. It was AMAZING)

---

Assisi is a tiny place about half an hour train ride away from Rome, situated on top of a huge hill that you have to get a bus up to. I stayed at the bottom of said hill in a lovely little hotel just to save myself from dragging my (admittedly huge) suitcase onto the bus, to a place up the hill, off the bus and then back down in 3 days.

It was a nice quiet break from how busy Rome was, and I made an Italian friend who showed me around (when we went with school we saw the inside of the St Francis' church and the courtyard because that's where we performed). It's a classic provincial Italian town that gets a bit more attention because of St Francis of Assisi.

---

I was possibly the most excited about my next stop. I'd figured out the trains by this point so I was a lot more relaxed, and Florence was somewhere I was looking forward to. It helps that I spent a little more money on a hotel right across from the main train station (and they may or may not have only had a deluxe room left...) and I was in the middle of everything.

As a side note, I love the Assassin's Creed games, specifically the second one and it's spin off games which all take place in Renaissance era Italy, and start in Florence. Coming back to Florence having played and fallen in love with them, I was head over heels for the city as soon as I saw it again and could picture making Ezio climb up all of the historic buildings that were RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY EYES.

So yes, I was a little bit excited.

The weather was still amazing and I'd really liked using the tour bus to get around to the main spots in Rome so I decided to do the same thing in Florence.

(not only did my hotel have the nicest little green courtyard in the middle of the city, but I had access to it from my room and my own little sunlounge) 






If I fell in love with Italy all over again I don't even know how to describe the place the Florence has in my heart. I walked around and soaked in the buildings and galleries and museums and the way it felt for the majority of my stay (I don't even think I used my bus pass on the last day, I just spent hours walking). I was absolutely crushed at the thought of leaving it behind (but at the same time I'll definitely be back. I don't think I could happily go the rest of my life without doing it again).

---

Montecatini was another something of a rest stop for me to recharge after Florence. It's a town built on thermal baths that has a bottom (terme) and a top (alto) part of town. I spent most of the time we came with school in the alto part of town so decided to spend most of my 2 nights there down the bottom. It's a really pretty place that's a bit anachronistic; all of the architecture and the feeling of the place is old, but in the oldest looking building in town there's a super high tech. spa.

I absolutely got a whole spa package and it was AMAZING.

---

Venice was my last stop and really where I packed in the most thinking time.

Venice is all bridges and winding streets and hidden corners. There's no room for anything new or flashy in among the old buildings crammed together and the waterways. I adore Venice in a completely different way to Florence or Rome.

It's where I wandered for hours and got lost and un-lost over and over again. The very last day of my trip was the only day it rained, as I was leaving Venice. I couldn't help but think it was at least a little poignant (although I'm not so totally self involved as to think it was for me).






You Might Also Like

0 comments